top of page
pexels-laura-tancredi-7078722 (1).jpg

Green Card

Green Card


Green Card Renewal/Replacement

“Green Card", formally known as Permanent Resident Card (USCIS Form I-551), is proof of your permanent resident status in the U.S. It serves as proof that you are authorized to live and work in the U.S.. Your permanent resident status will not be affected if you lose your green card, or if it expires, but without your card as proof of status, you may be denied employment, government benefits, etc.It is therefore important to keep your green card up-to-date.

Accuracy is important in green card matters - an attorney can ensure that there are no mistakes. Attorneys have experience in preparing renewal and replacement documents - you don’t have to spend time to familiarize yourself with the process and prepare the documents. Attorneys can answer all your questions/concerns before you start the process.

An experienced attorney will be ready to deal with any complications along the way and take care of your case.

Why do you need an attorney?

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I renew my green card?

If your green card is valid for 10 years, you need to apply for renewal 5-6 months before the expiration date. If it is already expired, you need to renew it as soon as possible. If you apply for renewal earlier than 6 months before expiration your renewal application might be returned to you.

If your Permanent Resident Card is valid for only 2 years, you are a conditional resident. You cannot renew a 2 year card. You will need to file a petition to remove the conditions of your resident status during the 90 days before the card expires.

When do I need to replace my Permanent Resident Card?

You need to replace your green card if any information on your card changed, or if your card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.

If you became a permanent resident before you turned 14 years old, you are required to replace your card when you turn 14 years old.

If you lose your green card, we highly recommend that you report the loss to the local police, and get a replacement card asap.

How do I file the I-90 to renew or replace my Permanent Resident Card?

To get your green card renewal or replacement, you can visit : and file the I-90 form online. Or, if you want to make sure everything is correct, we will gladly assist you with this I-90 process.

How long does it take before I receive my new green card?

After filing the I-90 form, it can take 3-12 months before you receive your new green card. If you need to travel abroad or attend job interviews before you receive your replacement card, you can request temporary proof of permanent residence. To obtain temporary proof, use Infopass at to make an appointment with your local USCIS office. At the appointment, request an I-551 stamp in your passport. The stamp serves as temporary proof of your permanent residence. Generally, the temporary stamp will be valid for one year.

bottom of page