top of page

F1 & M1 Students

An F-1 Visa allows international students to enter U.S. to study as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. M-1 Visa is for students who study in vocational or non-academic programs in vocational and technical schools.

F1 & M1 Eligibility

In order to qualify for the F-1 or M-1 Visa, an applicant must meet the following criteria:

  1. Be admitted to an academic educational program, vocational program or language training program as a full-time student;

  2. The school is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program and Immigration & Customs Enforcement;

  3. Have the financial ability to cover all expenses during the entire proposed course of study;

  4. Maintain a residence abroad with no intention to abandon, therefore seek to enter U.S. temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing the course of study.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am in F-1 status. May I be enrolled in part-time program?

No. You are required to be enrolled in a full-time study program in academic semesters. Part-time program is allowed only in summer break.

I am an F-1 student. Am I allowed to work?

Yes and no. You are allowed to work only on campus, but the on-campus employment cannot displace US residents, and it cannot exceed 20 hours per week. On-campus employment must either be performed on the school's premises, or at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with the school. You are not allowed to take any off-campus work unless you are approved for CPT or OPT.

Can I work on M-1 visa?

No, you may not work on M-1 visa. However, you may apply for practical training after you complete your studies. If approved, you will be allowed to have one month of practical training for every four months of study you have completed. You will be limited to six months total practical training time.

bottom of page