top of page
pexels-laura-tancredi-7078722 (1).jpg



Outstanding Professors and Researchers

EB-1B Outstanding Professors and Researchers

EB-1B is an employment based immigrant classification applies to professors and researchers who are internationally recognized as exceptional in a particular scientific or scholarly field. Unlike self-petitioned EB-1A visas, EB-1B visas are employer-sponsored.


To qualify for EB-1B, one must demonstrate international recognition for outstanding achievements in a particular academic field. One must have at least 3 years experience in teaching or research in that academic area. One must be entering the United States in order to pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education. One must meet 2 out of the 6 listed criteria below to prove extraordinary ability in the field:

  1. Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement.

  2. Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement.

  3. Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien's work in the academic field.

  4. Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field.

  5. Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field.

  6. Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I lose my job while my EB-1B petition is pending?

Your petition might still be approved, but your adjustment of status may not be approved. If you lost your job 180 days after filing I-485, your status should be safe. But if your I-485 cannot be approved, you at least have your priority date if I-140 is approved.

What is a permanent job offer?

A permanent job offer is any employment without a fixed termination date. Indeed, most jobs qualify for “permanent jobs.” At-will employment also can qualify for “permanent jobs”.

bottom of page