top of page
pexels-laura-tancredi-7078722 (1).jpg



Individuals with Extraordinary Ability

EB-1A Individuals with Extraordinary Ability

EB-1A is an employment-based, first-preference immigration classification for individuals who have distinguished themselves professionally in their fields of work or study.

EB-1A Eligibility

To qualify for EB-1A, one should demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim. One must meet 3 out of the 10 listed criteria below to prove extraordinary ability in your field:


  1. Evidence of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence.

  2. Evidence of your membership in associations in the field which demand outstanding achievement of their members

  3. Evidence of published material about you in professional or major trade publications or other major media.

  4. Evidence that you have been asked to judge the work of others, either individually or on a panel.

  5. Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance to the field.

  6. Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in professional or major trade publications or other major media.

  7. Evidence that your work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases.

  8. Evidence of your performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations.

  9. Evidence that you command a high salary or other significantly high remuneration in relation to others in the field.

  10. Evidence of your commercial successes in the performing arts.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does EB-1A need employer's sponsorship?

No. EB-1A is self-petitioned. You can file EB-1A petition for yourself. Job offer or Labor Certification is not needed. However, applicants must prove that they will continue to pursue work in the U.S. in the field in which they have demonstrated extraordinary abilities.

Do I need to live in the U.S. to apply for an EB-1A?

No. You can apply for an EB-1A visa while in the U.S. or outside U.S.

bottom of page