• DeHeng Immigration

Do I need to be a US citizen or green card holder to form a corporation in Delaware?

US citizenship or residence is not required to form a Delaware C corporation. Immigration status has no bearing on ownership interest in a C corporation, so startup founders from foreign countries can form a Delaware C corporation and own the C corporation’s stock. However, US citizenship is required if you want to form an S corporation and be the owner.

This does not mean that a C corporation’s foreign founder can be its employee without proper immigration status. If you plan to work for a US C corporation and are not a US citizen or green card holder, you need a work authorization or visa.

Recent Posts

See All

May 2021 Visa Bulletin Updates

According to the Department of State Visa Bulletin, the employment-based Final Action cutoff dates would advance in May 2021. The USCIS has announced it will honor the “Final Action Dates” for all t

Non-Immigrant Entry Suspension Order Expired

Presidential Proclamation 10052, which suspended the entry to the U.S. of certain nonimmigrant applicants for H-1B, H-2B, L-1, and J-1 visas, expired on March 31, 2021. This means that nonimmigrant